The plants are finally poking through the dirt/gumbo. (My brother-in-law, Joey, a very educated farmer, told me about "gumbo" so I've decided that I think it's a fun word and that my garden is full of it.) As far as I know, it's basically mud/paste/sticky/gross. Me, being the impatient person that I am, decided that I would try and plant seeds in this crud. To my surprise, plants are actually surviving...sort of. The places that were ideal soil obviously came up better. Anyway, here are a few to prove I'm developing a green thumb.
If Jerod offers to till the garden...I don't refuse the service. That machine is just that, "a machine." It nearly rips my arms right off my body so I hate using it.
Lettuce. a/k/a: Black Seeded Simpson. It's not tough like Romaine but not pure water like head lettuce. It's my favorite. I actually almost re-planted this row in fear that this was just clover when it first came up. Whew!
Peas. Slightly stunted after the little bit of frost we had. I'm hoping they'll make it.
Potatoes. The two half rows are doing quite well. The bottom half of the first row was planted in the gumbo crud I was telling you about. They are finally coming through but a long ways behind these guys.
I can't wait to be able to pick this stuff for dinner.
I hope you've enjoyed the tour. If you have the space and time, I completely recommend having a garden. It's a source of stress relief after a long day. Plus you get to eat the food that you know wasn't smothered in chemicals. :)
God Bless.
No comments:
Post a Comment