Friday, January 20, 2012

Opa and Oma


I felt like doing a post this morning on two of the most important people in my life. Opa and Oma Schuenemeyer. Brace yourselves, it will be at length because that's what they deserve. Credit.

Here is the happy married couple...




They will be celebrating 63 years of marriage this November 27th. Wow. 63 WHOLE YEARS!!! That's interrupted time, people. Never parted each other's side. What an inspiration and what role models.

I'll start with Oma first.

Actually, we call her the "energizer bunny!" She's up before the sun every day. She cooks every meal from scratch and smiles while doing it. Food is her nitch. You give her the ingredients and she'll make a lavish meal. Every. Single. Time.

She has a garden at my parents house that she gives her heart to. 100 degree weather doesn't phase her. She's still there, hunched over pulling weeds while sweat drips from her body. And guess what, she gives to her family. We ALL get her goodies all year long. Aren't we lucky? I'd say so! :) Her food is all natural. We eat meat from cows we raise (that also get Oma's garden scraps) and vegetables that were planted with love and tendered to all summer from the hands of our Oma. It really can't get better than that.

She's made quilts for us all. All by herself. Giant quilts. Talk about lots of hard work. It doesn't go unrecognized. Hopefully she knows that.

Oma has a beautiful personality. She enjoys life to its fullest every day and she loves her family. She doesn't sit much. She's always on the go and always giving back to her church, family and friends. I love her.

Opa.

Ohhhh, Opa. He's one of a kind. Have you ever met an older gentleman and instantly fell in love? This is Opa.

The biggest memory I'll always cherish is his voice. He can sing better than anyone I know and I've never heard him sing the same song twice. Seriously. Never. He sings all of his songs he picked up during the war. Some bring a tear but most bring a smile.

He's witty, too. Never a dull moment with him. He's quick with his words and jokes. He giggles at his own jokes. :) (Which now I'm smiling as I write this!)

Opa has a routine that we all know. He'll eat breakfast, do a crossword puzzle, go to The White Rose for coffee with "the guys" and then head home for a lunch made by his lovely wife. He takes naps and then heads to the Legion for a beer with "more guys" and then heads home for another dinner made by Oma. He'll do more crossword puzzels and watch TV before going to bed in the wee hours of the morning.

If you haven't read it yet, Opa was in the paper recently for his time spent in War. Please take the time to read it. It's amazing. http://www.emissourian.com/more_news/senior_lifetimes/article_78c66517-6468-56b6-9907-30fe7ddb2dc5.html

I love these two more than anyone can understand. They are so good together, even after 62.25 years. They've set an example for us all and I only pray I can spend many more years with each of them.

Thank you for taking the time to read a little about my grandparents.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment